The reasons I am going on a No-Buy for a year is:
- I want to stop adding to my consumer debt. I’m already several thousand dollars in debt on credit cards and I want to stop that ASAP
- I want to start a Emergency Fund
- I have too many items and there is literally nothing that I need except food, water, medicine and shelter. Oh don’t forget car insurance and fuel. LOL
- I want to change my bad habit of purchasing a lot of non essential items and stop casual shopping.
The Guidelines are:
- I can spend money on: my bills (rent/utilties/car), food (within budget), household items such as trash bags, detergent, etc.., dishes, personal care (includes things like maxi pads and deodorant), experiences such as movies or bowling and travel, pattern, apple Music, housekeeper (every 2-3 months), school necessities,
- No spending on non essentials such as clothes, shoes, cosmetics, beauty/skin care , hair products, candles, bath and Bodyworks items (or any bath type items from any store), At all, not even to replace because I have multiple backups of anything I could need in those categories.
- If I truly run out of something, (that I don’t have a back up item or similar item in that category for) then I can replace it. So for instance if I run out of my Anastasia Eye Definer brow pencil, I have two backups of other brow pencils I can use. I cannot purchase another Eye Definer. But if I run out of ALL of my brow products, I can purchase a replacement.
- I CANNOT replace candles.
- I can accept gifts from other people.
- I can spend “Rewards” type “free” money. So basically what this means is if Bath and Bodyworks sends me a coupon to get 1 free item up to $6.50 value without purchase. I can use it. I CANNOT use coupons that require a purchase. Or if Old Navy, Lane Bryant or Torrid gives me $10 in “bucks”, I can use those bucks to buy something that only costs $10 or less. I cannot spend any of my income to fulfill those coupons or “bucks”. I already have some Old Navy bucks right now but I haven’t found anything on the website that cost $10 that I want
- I can buy gifts for my family. The only family member I usually contribute to a gift is for my mom’s birthday. I can continue to contribute to that.
I’m going to replace my shopping habits with studying habits. I’m starting grad school and need to spend my time studying to get top grades.
I plan to practice loving what I have and being grateful for it.
To keep myself accountable I will update my progress or journey of this No Buy at least once a month in this blog.